Centre for Brain Research (CBR) offers a full-time Ph.D. Program in basic and clinical neuroscience to understand the aging brain and aging-related brain disorders. As a research centre recognised by Manipal Academy of Higher Education (MAHE), Karnataka. CBR directly admits students to the Ph.D. program. CBR also participates in the Ph.D. program of the Indian Institute of Science (IISc), wherein the students are admitted by IISc under the supervision of IISc faculty and the co-supervision of a CBR faculty member.
Candidates admitted to the Ph.D. program undergo extensive coursework that involves learning of basics and advanced neuroscience, genomics, computational biology, stem cell biology, biostatistics, and neuroimaging. Details of the courses offered at CBR are available here.
Students also undergo lab rotations in the research groups to get acquainted with the work being pursued in each group. This allows students to identify and understand the research work that excites them the most. To know more about the research being pursued at CBR, please visit web pages of faculty members and the research areas.
The online application for the CBR Ph.D. program opens tentatively in May every year. Following the selection procedure, the program typically commences in August. Please visit this page regularly for announcements and updates. Details of the program are available in the CBR Handbook for Ph.D. Students.
In case of queries, please write to email@example.com.
Mid-year Admission for Ph.D. Program 2022-23
Selected Candidates List
The Centre for Brain Research (CBR) invites applications from eligible and highly motivated Indian nationals for mid-year admission to its full-time Ph.D. Program (beginning on 01 February 2023) to work in specific areas of research (listed below).
CBR is a recognized research centre for Ph.D. program by Manipal Academy of Higher Education (MAHE), Karnataka. The Ph.D. degree will be awarded by MAHE.
CBR promotes interdisciplinary research in basic and clinical neuroscience to understand normal and pathological aging of the brain through advanced genetic, biochemical, computational genomics, neuroimaging, neurophysiological, neurocognitive, and related approaches. CBR has state-of-the-art Next Generation Sequencing (NGS), GWAS, WGS, imaging, and other facilities to support this research.
Master’s degree in any branch of science or four-year bachelor’s degree in any branch of Medicine/ Engineering/ Technology/ Pharmacy/ Veterinary Science. Candidates in the final year of their respective courses are also eligible to apply, provided they successfully complete the course before 31 January 2023.
Preference would be given to those who have qualified national-level fellowship tests, such as CSIR-UGC NET for JRF/ UGC NET for JRF/ DBT-JRF/ ICMR-JRF/ INSPIRE and GATE fellows (for Ph.D.).
Areas of research
Candidates who apply must be interested in one or more of the following topics of research:
- How human genetic variations affect neurodegenerative conditions: a whole genome perspective from large-scale studies
- Exploring the role of sleep and physical activity in cognitive functioning using wearable biosensors
- Studying the association of cardiometabolic and vascular risk factors with dementia
- Non-motor symptoms of Parkinson’s disease in an animal model and investigating the molecular underpinnings of the disease progression
- Elucidating the role of vascular dysfunction in Alzheimer’s Disease pathology using animal models
- Non-invasive brain stimulation for diagnosis and remediation of cognitive impairment
- Exploring the role of gene regulation in predicting biological and chronological aging in the brain
- Expanding the mutational spectrum of neurodegenerative diseases in Indian populations
Candidates should submit their applications online latest by 25 November 2022. Applications submitted through any other channel will not be processed. Shortlisted candidates will be called for an interview. Selection will be based on academic track record and interview performance.
- Launch of online application: 03 Nov 2022, Thursday
- Application submission deadline: 25 Nov 2022, Friday
- Announcement of shortlisted candidates: 15 Dec 2022, Thursday (tentative)
- Online interviews: Early January 2023
- Commencement of Ph.D. program: 01 Feb 2023, Wednesday
Please visit this page regularly for announcements and updates. Queries may be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org